Saturday, April 23, 2011

Personal Space and Nonverbal Cues

I really liked this chapter because I found it to be very applicable to my own life. I thought the part about personal space was really true and I liked how it mentioned how you can go into an empty movie theater and how if someone else comes in they always tend to sit right by you and it always annoys you and how this can be addressed through proxemics. I have had this happen to me when me and mom have gone to a movie like right after school or just some random time when she's of work and we will be the only ones in the theater and then someone else will come in and sit right in front of us. And I'm always like really? You couldn't at least move down a few seats so I can put my feet up? It just always seems so rude and I never get it.

I also liked the part about nonverbal cues because it is very true that you can tell a lot about someone through their body language. Nonverbal cues tend to be very universal as well. If someone has their arms crossed they look uncomfortable or shy and closed in on themselves. If someone is biting their lip they seem nervous. This applies with many different nonverbals and helps to figure out how a person is feeling.

1 comment:

  1. I like what Brooke said about how people sit next to you when the whole movie theatre is empty. That drives me nuts when people do that because I feel almost clausterphobic; they have a hundred other seats to sit in but they HAVE to chose the ones right in front of me. Sometimes I want to try to annoy them just so that they will move and I can put my feet up. If I came into the theatre and there was only one group there, I would sit as far away as possible and be respectful of their personal space; I don't want to feel like I'm invading them and be rude.
    Also, the facts about nonverbal communication are quite interesting and I've been lectured by my teachers about it before. I've been told that putting your head down on the desk, crossing your arms across your chest, or leaning back in your chair are all signs that you are bored in class and don't want to be there. Before I was told that I never would have thought I was sending my teacher a bad message but once I was told, I've tried to avoid bad body langauge so that I don't give my teachers the wrong impression about their teaching or their class. I never meant to be rude to my teachers before with my bad body language, I just wasn't aware with what I was nonverbally communicating to those around me.

    ReplyDelete