Sunday, April 10, 2011

The ACT and IQ Tests

I liked the part in this chapter about college admission tests such as the ACT and SAT and if they really predict academic success in college. Recently, I have been looking into colleges myself and seeing what types of academic scholarships I could receive. The part that always frustrates me is the fact that the majority of the scholarships are based primarily on my SAT or ACT score and GPA doesn't pay a huge part in it. This is so frustrating to me because I think GPA would be a much better predictor in college success and smarts then one test you take for 5 hours. The book says that tests such as the ACT and SAT sometimes do predict college GPA success, but other times they do not.

Another section that interested me was about the commonly used IQ tests for adults like the WAIS-IV. I have never taken an IQ test before, but after reading this chapter it really makes me want to because I think It would be very interesting to see what I would get.

Also, on a little side note, my mom's friend Sue is a adult physiologist who I met and talked to about her job a few days ago. She said that she had been in the practice for 20 years and got so burned out with it and was constantly stressed that she stopped doing it and now works at Pier One as a type of stress reliever, easy job, where she still can have some sort of small income. I thought it was interesting because my mom always used to talk about how I should be a child psychologist and after talking to Sue I really don't think I would want to. She loved her job and all, don't get me wrong, it's not like a bad job at all. She said it was very interesting and rewarding at times, but yet she stressed the fact that it was so hard hearing about so many peoples problems all the time and that she would constantly think about them outside of work and that they would just weigh her down at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment